Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Harper Noelle Has Arrived!





On March 23, 2010 an angel was born. Harper Noelle took us all by surprise arriving 7 weeks early. She weighed in at 4 pounds 7 ounces and measured 17 3/4 inches in length.

It was just a normal Tuesday. I went to work and headed to my routine check up with my doctor later in the afternoon. My doctor determined that I had a very rare and severe case of toxemia known as HELLP syndrome. For more information on what HELLP syndrome is you can read about it at

HELLP syndrome is life threatening to both mother and baby and
the only known cure is immediate delivery. Because I was only 33 weeks along, I had to be rushed to John Muir because this is the only hospital in the area able to provide the appropriate care for premature babies at this level.

Although Harper Noelle was 6 weeks 6 days premature, she is breathing on her own and is very healthy. She's already showing her feisty personality. Minutes after she was delivered, she ripped the breathing tube right out of her mouth and threw her hat off her head!

I was released from the hospital on Friday but Harper will need to stay in the NICU for several more weeks (approximately the length of time she had left in the womb). Everyday we visit her and hold her as much as we can and are anxiously awaiting the day we get to take her home.

1 comment:

  1. You don't know me but I am 6 months pregnant and I love the name Harper if I have a girl. I've chosen not to find out what I am having. Anyway, it took me forever to find a middle name and I recently decided that I liked "Harper Noelle". Just on a whim, I decided to google the name and found your post. I am actually due 3/23/12. I thought the name/date combo was ironic. Just had to share it. I hope that you and yours are doing well. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete